Founded in 1989, The Community School is a private, non-sectarian, co-educational day school serving students in grades 6 to 12. We are fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Our students are bright, highly motivated young people from towns in central New Hampshire and western Maine, who come to us because they crave connections--to people and places, to their learning, and to the broader world.
Students and teachers collaborate in small multidisciplinary classes, at school meeting, and in the school’s gardens and forests to build a healthy local community that contributes to a sustainable world. In preparation for college and meaningful work, students learn by doing, connect with nature, develop an ethic of stewardship, solve real problems, and provide service to others. Inquiries and applications are considered at any time, and it is not unusual for students to enter during the school year.
- learning is a joyful and rigorous pursuit.
- by interacting with people and places, we develop a sense of responsibility and caring.
- when we discover our aptitude and interests -- and find them valued by others -- we become eager learners.
- we should be proud to use our bodies to do hard work. There is great satisfaction in sharing in labor for the sake of a common need.
- cooperation and collaboration are essential to a sustainable society.
- true learning calls on our mind, heart, and body. It requires hard work.
- we are all capable of creating something beautiful.
For more information on what makes our classes interesting and unique, or to begin the application process, click on a link below:
The Community School • 1164 Bunker Hill Road • South Tamworth, NH 03883
(603) 323-7000 • fax (603) 323-8240